The Best of Mad Swirl's Poetry Forum : 03.31.12

“I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process.” Vincent van Gogh


•••••••••••

This last week in Mad Swirl's Poetry Forum... we were short-changed, but not short-shrifted - it was all about "Her." She nurtured a cosmic notion of astral love and planetary devotion; she coldly consoled an aspiring anatomist, left him amorously alone; with a fiery eye, she pierced a pensive poet, her gaze flames the urbane "and she knows it"; she gave no patience to a doubtful dolt, dined with another instead; then, to seal the deal, she sucked a sore-headed soul, not succubus, no sensual delight and no signature. Unable to resist her feminine wiles, we males will always succumb. Whew! - mh

Just in case you missed it, here's a taste...

Sigh for a signature

You are a frequent migraine.
I’m a dull head.
You suck my life. I sigh

and wait, for a time,
like a cold mountain waits
to shoot up sprouts in the spring.

Unveiled is your visage now
and my home is on fire.
I don’t have a right to put it out?

- Haris Adhikari

(2 poems added 03.31.12)

editor's note: A dotted line, empty; a look to dry the wettest ink. Find another underwriter. (Something sheepish from Haris on his page - check it out.) - mh

Trouble with

Doubt, uncertainty:
trouble with uncertainty, reluctance,
trouble with reluctance, hesitancy:
I would have asked you out for coffee
except for doubt.
-Dinner together in a French cafe
but what of the uncertainty, perhaps you prefer Chinese?
I would have met you sooner, except for my reluctance to speak,
the possibility of rejection, the hesitancy of hesitation:
-Trouble with hesitation, reluctance, trouble with reluctance,
uncertainty, trouble with uncertainty, doubt.

- Michael D. Brown

(added 03.30.12)

editor's note: That about wraps it up; a thorough diagnosis of the sit-at-home-alone-and-fret-over-what-coulda-been syndrome. Curable? No doubt! - mh

Still

Fulgent eyes reflecting waters
in allegory
out of reach
perchance
a pool
foamed and formed
from waters
flowing forth and falling
for
even the still
photos
do reveal
her eyes
to be
zoetically
if poetically
full of life
and movement
and motive
that seems to seek
a love beyond
the still and stagnant
that surrounds her
that gives her
annoyance
and cause
to move
to care
to love
to scream
out and aloud
through the thick
of the stillness
from the exanimate
impotent
languorous
and oft
insufferable world
in photographs
Her eyes
kindle a fire
that sets itself
burning and wild upon
indifference
and
the icy still
dullness of
photo-shopped backdrops
and studio niceties
and
because
this fire
burns constant
and
if it destroys
so does it create
from the ashes of
this execrable world
she rises
she is fearless
and dangerous
and lovely
and she knows it

- Jesse Doughty

(1 poem added 03.29.12)

editor's note: A look to make any lover sing or squirm. Best to be songworthy in her gaze. - mh

Secular Humanist

Stephen is lying in a large puddle.
He is thinking about you being naked.
Sometimes you are naked in your room, or in your bathroom.
He likes the idea of you being naked.
Stephen never gets to see you naked.
Stephen feels jealous of you because you get to see yourself naked all the time.
You are probably beautiful and vulnerable when you’re naked.
He wants to find every bone in your body.
All two hundred and six of them.
He wants to feel them through your naked skin with his fingertips.
He wants to name them as he finds them.
“Clavicle, Manubrium, Sternum”
Outside, Stephen can feel the harsh winter air against his skin.
Stephen is not naked.
Stephen is wearing clothes.
Stephen is lying in a large puddle.
Stephen grabs a little bit of mud with his hands.
Stephen touches his glasses and gets mud on the lens.
His vision is obscured.
He feels like a grain of sand, on a beach, that isn’t a real grain of sand, but is
actually a very tiny piece of a clamshell from a clam that died 10 years ago.

- Mira Gonzalez

(added 03.28.12)

editor's note: An epic, cosmic, planetary love awaits the amorous astronomer who is not afraid to look through the long end of the telescope. - mh

Tell Me I Can Be Your Venus and That You'll Be My Mars

Tell me I can be your Venus and that you’ll be my Mars. I’m feeling a connection that goes beyond heaven’s stars. Tell me you’ll be mine because I wanna be yours. I’ll give you all you need and more from the very depths of my inner core. I’ll share my world if you let me, we can create our own galaxy. I have waited many moons for you and wished on shooting stars for you. My love tell me what is there to do, I just wanna be with you. I’ll give you all I have inside, I’ll give you all of me just you gravitate towards me. I believe you and I are meant to be and this is more than a theory, more than a equation, beyond our position, beyond our location. Look into my eyes, feel my desires, touch my inner soul; Tell me you love me and tell me you need me. Tell me I can be your Venus and that you’ll be my Mars.

- Tameka Sharrette

(added 03.27.12)

editor's note: An epic, cosmic, planetary love awaits the amorous astronomer who is not afraid to look through the long end of the telescope. - mh

•••••••••••

The whole Mad Swirl of everything to come keeps on keepin' on... now... now... NOW! Every second, every minute, every hour, every day, every week, every month, every year, every decade, every every EVERY there is! Wanna join in the poetic conversations going on in Mad Swirl's Poetry Forum? Then stop by whenever the mood strikes! We'll be here...

Losin' Our Minds,

Johnny O
Editor-in-chief

MH Clay
Poetry Editor

P.S. Come one, come all! Come to participate. Come to appreciate. Come to be a part of this collective creative love child we affectionately call Mad Swirl.


"If you believe you're a poet, then you're saved." ~ Gregory Corso

Do you believe? We do. And we believe in you too! Let's ALL get saved on 04.04.12, starting at 8;00 sharp, when Mad Swirl will feature the neatest Beat-ist poets that we know, Oak Cliffs very own Opalina and Carlos Salas! Hosts Johnny O and MH Clay, along with the mad musicians called Swirve, will get things swirlin'. Get there early and enjoy the feature. And if you're a mad poet, musician, actor, singer and/or performer, stick around to get your spot on our set-list. We will be limiting the list to 15 spots... first come, first on! So get there early!

Where's this madness take place? Absinthe Lounge is at 1409 South Lamar Street, Dallas, TX 75215 (located in the SouthSide on Lamar building)

And please, by all means, FEEL FREE TO SPREAD THE WORD!

fo'mo'info' visit www.MadSwirl.com

Comments

Popular Posts